Saturday, October 30, 2004

Dreading tomorrow morning

Spring ahead. Fall back. Buc doesn't understand. But he will understand his need to do his business and eat. The question will be, do those needs fall back,too.

I have been thinking about ways to get him adjusted to the idea that Daylight Saving Time is coming to an end tonight. (This will be his first one so I really should do something special--dog treats with whipped cream and party hats or something.)

I simply change a few clocks and that's it. My computer thinks for itself. But my dear puppy is a different matter. There is no way he will get this.

He is really good at spring ahead. Puppys spring at everything. Fall back however, is more like a slow shuffle and is usually only excuted under some form of threat such as a bigger dog or a menacing rolled up newspaper.

I could recognize his intelligence and take it from that point of view. Wagging tail equals clock, Four paws equal fifteen minutes each. Put them together and you have an intellectual solution. Drop a biscuit in there and attention is pretty good.

But come tomorrow morning, say 4:15 or so, Buc is going to think it is 5:15 and the whining and let me out barks will start. I can feel it in my tired bones.

No dog owner thought up Daylight Savings Time.

No comments: