Saturday, October 09, 2004

Tennies up

Tennies up is pilot talk. The term refers to the command a captain makes to his copilot to raise the landing gear right after takeoff. You are in the air and on the way to your adventure. So it is with my life and so it is with this blog.

Reyna sold me a piece of pecan pie with chocolate in it this morning. The roll guy hasn't shown up and it is Saturday and I expected a nice, fresh, slightly microwaved cinnamin roll with butter. No roll guy. No roll. So Reyna switched me to pie. The girl should sell used cars instead of making all of these different coffee treats at the Coffee House in Lincoln. Nice hat, Reyna.

Buc is tearing up the house by now. He is my new puppy--half pointer and half German Shepard. That means energy and big feet. He let out his morning "get your ass outta bed so I can go outside and pee" bark at about 5:10. Hence, time on my hands at the Coffee House even though I am a sucker for coffee making ladies with a knack for selling used cars, or the last piece of pie.

I have done lotsa (like that computer lingo, huh) things with my life. Some were successful and some were not but all were fun. I was a swash buckling pilot in my younger days. Is that allowed? I created a couple of advertising agencies. Pretty preppy. Wrote a couple of books--A Visit to Hartington and The Last Flight of Kilo Mike and a newspaper column about former Nebraska football players and what they learned from football and life. So, I am a puppy owning skinny Hemingway who is a pilot instead of an Old Man in the Nebraska Sea.

Now it is time to go home and brush my teeth so the after effects of pecan pie with chocolate stop reminding me that I need to spend another hundred bucks to see my dentist.

See you tomorrow. Where is the spell checker on this thing?

No comments: