Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Invaders

Do you remember some of those invader from Mars films back in our kid days? (Granted, some of you are more kidn than me so there is some question of what I mean.)

Do a web search for Orson Welles and/or War of the Worlds. It was a dandy radio show back in the 1930's or so where the "movie" was created in your head instead of on a screen in front of you. And Orson created a dandy on a New York radio station for his Mercury Theater. Or was it Ford? He used H.G. Well's book, "The War of the Worlds" a story about men from Mars invading earth. Orson used brilliant talent and sound effects to create a spoof that the invasion was really happening. His show created a panic in New Jersey--worse than the rumor that President Bush was going to carry the state. Serious stuff.

Well I have been in kind of a panic myself lately. My computer, a new E-machine laptop with more of everything than I will ever need, has been loading a lot of blank browser pages. You type in an addy and nothing happens. Well my days at Best Buy as a computer selling whiz back in the 486 days, told me something was up and it was not good.

I went back to the trusty store and hunted up some of my old buds in the computer area. They are the ones that blink alot and have very glassy eyes and are too smart to spend their lives playing computer games, but a choice is a choice.

Sure enough,I had been invaded. And that is WITH a firewall installed and just to be sure, a complete factory restore of the software and Norton Anti-Virus software. Get the idea here?
They told me to download a little freebee software program called Ad-Aware. You can get it at download.com. I did. I ran it. And presto! Fifty-nine little invaders were on my computer taking notes for God knows who on where I was going and what I was doing. They have hijacked my computer!

Hijacked is not a friendly word for this old pilot to use. And if I could ever identify where these wonkettes lived and worked, I would nuke 'em. Well I would let Bucco piss on their hard drives anyway.

Try ad aware. It's good stuff from good people. Sic 'em little dog!


No comments: