Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Early morning and little dogs

I have always wanted a dog. I miss Penny, the family Scottie, and she died way back in the 1960's. So, it was time for me to share my golden years with a dog. I have been going to the pound for visits but only one dog caught my eye. By the time I decided to adopt him, he was gone. That was a good thing since the needle or whatever they do, is the other option. I went out again about a month ago and there he was. He's half pointer and half German shepard and he is cute as can be-black with white markings on his feet and a white tip of the tail. We have been having a great time together.

He knows how to sit, shake, and lay down already. Pretty cool, huh. Plus, the young college girls out for their runs just can resist stopping to play with him and he gladly does so. (Hint: If you are a young guy looking to meet pretty young ladies, get a puppy and head for the nearest bike path!)

He is also house broken. I was kind of worried about that but the Humane Society told me to box train him--that means get a dog carrier and put him in it at night and let him out and OUTSIDE first thing in the morning. If you leave, same thing. He treats the box as his turf and won't pee or worse in it. He'll wait until he can get outside but make sure that wait is in seconds, not minutes. It's easy!

Just one word of caution. Be careful when you come out of the shower. They are still too young to know the difference between a hot dog and well, use your imagination.

No comments: