Thursday, October 21, 2004

Former Husker Nut

I used to be pretty excited about Saturday by now. But I am not. I am not the Husker football nut that I used to be. No tickets. Almost 19 years without a drink. Heck, I don't even remember the entire routine of the band when it comes on the field. Once upon a time I knew all of that stuff. I knew all of the players and the players-to-be. I even knew who we could beat and who would be a challenge. See, I even said "we" in the last sentence. I had ownership and advance knowledge that even the players didn't have.

Now I don't know much of anything about football except what I see on TV. And frankly, I am not sure the TV guy is more into than I am.

When Nebraska won, I was fairly happy and cheerful all week. When they lost, I was grumpy all week. Now I am just OK.

Sports are no longer that important to me. Inside my old beating hear, I just don't get that excited about competitive sports. No "Go Big Red." No "D" or "O" talk. No bad feelings toward people in Kansas and Missouri. No fear of Oklahoma or Texas. No defending Osborn for keeping thugs in white helmets with red "N" on them. Nothing.

Hell, I even quit playing golf.

It's just more fun to take Buc for a walk.

No comments: