Monday, November 15, 2004

Crunchy under foot

It's about that time. My mind is already drifting to the thought of snow. The palace (my camper) is pretty chilly and I am not too excited about the upcoming winter. It is only suppose to last three months like the rest of the seaons, but winter start early and stays to long. It really is a long event in Nebraska.

Thank God I am not Canadian. There is a good reason. The weatherperson on television does their best to create weather fear in you..."and there is a mass of Canadian cold air moving in our direction...expect temperatures to plunge." Gee, what about the Canadians? It's their air and they are in it all of the time. No wonder they say "eh" at the end of every sentence.

Buc is noticing a difference, too. He used to jump out the door as soon as I opened it in the morning. Now, he puts on the brakes, sniffs, looks into the no daylight savings time dark, and then back at me as if to say..."I can hold it until it warms up a little."

No deal dog-a-rue. Out you go and me in tow. He prances briskly and shakes his coat in the first couple of yards. Then he heads off the sidewalk for the grass and the leaves of my neighbor's yard. (He didn't rake so it is easier to mix nauture'call amid nature's fall.)

He looks at me fairly quickly once on the crunchy leaves and grass. Clearly, his paw pads are not in a defrost mode and he kind of dances over the grass before, well anyway.

Try walking barefoot on your yard at five in the morning on a Nebraska late fall morning. It's crunchy and cold underfoot.

But be careful where you step, please. :o)

No comments: