Sunday, April 22, 2007

Earth Day

I did my part for Earth Day. I got up early and put on my Earth Sandals. (They're the ones that raise your toes and lower your heel and are suppose to make your posture better. Most folks say I look grumpier.)

I took out the garbage in my recycled Wal-Mart plastic bags. I know, paper would be better but Wal-Mart doesn't offer paper bags. I don't think there are a lot of trees in China.

My day was all walking--no biking but all walking so I saved a ton of gas. That was the easy part since I don't have a car.

Which brings me to sacrifice. My Earth Day was better than most but let's face it, I didn't sacrifice much. It's not like Uncle Bill giving the war effort the 1928 Cadillac for the scrap metal drive. It's not like gas rationing. It's not like the Manhattan project. It's not sacrifice. We don't sacrifice today. Americans are "why on Earth are you so fat?"

Fat we are and we act like it. Every person has a car. We still drive everywhere for everything. It doesn't matter how much gas costs.

Now I am not going to jump into the pollution argument. Let the talking heads do that. But I will jump into something else.

Maybe we should try some of the old solutions. Maybe we should try gas rationing. Maybe we should try a new Manhattan Project to create power sources never seen before. Maybe we should invade the caribou in ANWR. Is a caribou more important than one of our 20 something kids slugging it out in Iraq?

I am sure of one thing. We are putting way too much of our precious Earth over the flag-covered caskets of some of our beloved, brightest, and best talent and until we can take care of our own energy needs, we will continue to do that.

<$BlogFeedsVertical$>


<$BlogItemFeedLinks$>

No comments: