Friday, December 02, 2005

I need to go to Florida


The hurricane season is over. For most folks, that would suggest a trip to somewhere sunny. It's 12 degrees in Lincoln. That would suggest a trip to somewhere sunny. There is snow on the ground. That would suggest a trip to somewhere sunny. The snow has been rearranged from God's idea to man's idea which means it is no longer like a fluffy white blanket, but is piled up in dirty piles. That would suggest a trip to somewhere sunny.

But none of those reasons are the reason I should go to Florida.

Dannie is the reason. She had her surgery and they removed another tumor about the size of a golf ball from the back of her brain. A few years back, they removed a softball size one and she recovered 100%.

This time is a little different. She has some work to do to get back to that 100%. I have no doubt she will do it but I want to go down to Florida and spend a little time with her and see for myself.

Struggle is the best character builder there is. I had to struggle with my polio and most people who know me say I am a character. Everyone will give you the "you're still just as good as anyone else."

You know, deep down, you will never be just as good as. You may come close. You may over-achieve. You may become a character or develop same. But there is a bigger struggle going on inside. It just takes so much more for the bird with a broken wing to learn how to fly.

And the last thing you need is to have a Tom Cruise type tell you they understand. You're kidding. They don't understand. The only people that understand are people who have had to go through the struggle of coming back.

That's why I need to go to Florida. I want to look Dannie in the eyes and let that speak for itself. I will never know the no-polio me. I will only know the one who battled it. Polio made me a warrior. I fought battles that I may not have needed to flight. I did things that I didn't need to do. I completed projects that I didn't need to start. My life isn't about making money. It's about making tracks. My tracks sometimes end at the top of the mountain because I fell down the other side. But, if you look carefully, you will see more tracks on the next one.

Dannie is learning how to make tracks. She is learning about struggle. I imagine her heart is crying because of what was. She may not know about what will be.

But she is making new tracks and I want to see if they are going up the mountain. My guess is there are, so it is best that you get the hell out of the way. She is a warrior, too.

Just keep spreading your broken wing little bird. The hand of God will create the lift.

1 comment:

DannieS72 said...

My wing is slowly mending. Just slower than this over acheiver with OCD cares for. It hurts a lot too, that's something theydon't really warn you about. You'll hear anout it on the blog soon.Love ya unk. D :)