Tuesday, March 20, 2007

There Hereeeee!

The gray of the long winter sky is being replaced this evening by the boiling blue sky of spring. It's tornado season!

Actually, tornadoes have occurred in every month except January. But, we are days away from the best part of the year. I am a spotter for the county and when everyone else heads for the basement, I head for the hills--the tops of some of the tallest ones in the county.

If you have learned anything, you probably know it is not a good idea to go to the top of a hill to watch a thunderstorm. They come packaged with lighting and lightning loves high place. I have heard the loud snap of a strike a couple of times so that should tell you I am too close. But, I stay inside the car and hopefully well grounded in my civic hobby.

And I am not alone. There are usually 30 some of us out on 30 some hills talking to a person who is talking to Lancaster Emergency Management. They look for stuff on radar and then we tell them if the stuff is there. The stuff is high winds and of course, rotation, wall clouds, and that little funnel looking thing looking for a place to land and turn into a big thing.

You have no idea how much fun it is to watch that happen.

Yea spring!

No comments: