Saturday, October 01, 2005

Thought I would NEVER do this!

I had a chance to go to the Nebraska-Iowa State football game today and I passed. (As in decided not to go instead of well...passed -vs- run.) I am not that football nuts anymore.

That, folks, is absolutely amazing. I used to be as football nuts as they come. You can tell a football nut, a Nebraska football nut, by the way they talk about the game. Nebraska never loses a game to a better team. They lose because they made too many mistakes. They lose because the ref made a bad call. They lose because the moon is full.

They lost me. Too much money. Too much time. Too much Rattletrap Rose.

I have fallen in love with other things. Sure, I am happy to see them win but it is not a big deal when they lose.

It used to be.

I would mope for days. I would get angry. I would see the season slip away into the Independence Bowl. Those were tough times. I would get on the band wagon when a player got arrested for something. "He's just a kid, let him play."

Truth is, some kids need to go to jail not to a bowl game.

I don't miss those arguments, either.

So I am going to learn some new things today. Lately, the new things have to do with Red Cross training. I learned how to do CPR and run a defibulator.

It wasn't too long ago when this Husker fan might have needed those things.

No comments: