Sunday, September 25, 2005

That was an interesting week

In fact, it may have been one of the most interesting weeks of my life. I went to CERT school which stands for Community Emergency Response Team. We are now the guys that will be roaming the disaster areas that your local fire department can't search, reach, and treat.

No, we are not going to get all that heroics but we are trained in lots of stuff including...small fire supression, first aid, search and rescue, extraction, not the dentist type; and communications. It took 20 hours to complete the course and graduation was a moch disaster in the totally dark basement of the Nebraska Capitol building. Your's truely was in charge and to be honest, I didn't do all that great of a job but learned a bunch. We all did.

I now have a disaster pack full of gear. A green helmet that makes me look like a Pez dispenser. And, lots of confidence that I can help out big time. I also got a day's worth of CPR/AED training from the Red Cross.

Sound interesting to you? I encourage you to take the training. It really is great! Call your local emergency management office and they should be able to give you more information. By the way, it's FREE!

And in this day and age, it's more important than you will ever know.

PS Dannie had her surgery last week. She made it through it. I talked to her and she is improving but has a big hill to climb. If you have some prayer space, please put in a good word for her.

No comments: