Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Everything finally worked!

I love technology especially when it works. No, I am not a Microsoft fan by any stretch, but they are a necessary short in the whizzing circuits of a great mind like mine. :o)

Anyway. Last night everything worked just great. Best of all, the tech stuff was inside of my little car out on a Nebraska country road on the top of a hill in a lightning juiced spring thunderstorm. No, I wasn't stuck. No, I wasn't courting an old babe on a starry night gone south. I was there because I wanted to be there--right in the raging middle of it.

I love weather, especially thunderstorms. I love it so much that I even endured getting a ham radio license just so I could become one of the storm spotting crew for Lancaster County Emergency Management. I was trained for the job even though I had over 3,000 hours of professional flying experience and flew over the massive things. None the less, I endured stuff I really don't really care about just so I could be out on that lonesome hill with juiced arrows hitting everywhere and the rain pounding my little car. I was nice and calm inside and dissecting the monster with my laptop, hooked up to my inverter, hooked up to my cell phone, hooked up to the live radar. I looked at the radar and reported what I saw on the ground. It all worked great!

I haven't had that much fun in years! No, there was nothing of significance to deal with but I am sure the folks in the little town just a mile or so away may have felt a little better that me, and 41 other volunteer storm spotters, dotted the countryside looking at the skies.

Good night little Hallam. No need to worry tonight.

No comments: